oswald street, glasgow history


NEWHALL STREET was formed on the lands of Newhall], which were originally possessed by Mr. Allan. The roof of the portico of Saint Andrew's Church, which stands in the centre, contains the first example in Scotland of what is known in architecture as the flat arch, and it was looked upon as a marvel at the time. This property having been acquired by the Clyde Trustees, Mr. Maclean was once more on the move, and having built a spacious villa on the neighbouring estate of Dumbreck he bestowed on it the title of Craigiehall, and here then he decided till his death, which occurred some years since. can be seen in old files of the Glasgow Herald. The walls were thick, and the floor, which had been flagged, was about three feet below street level. STRATHBUNGO is a Celtic word having some connection with a stream running swiftly in a confined channel. Open map Street View. GSL Lettings is an award winning business recently voted as Scottish Letting Agent of the Year 2011/12 at the Letting and Landlord National Awards ceremony, and ranked 19th nationally. James Woddrop of Dalmarnock and James Woddrop, younger, are witnesses to the later will of John Blackburne, minister of the Baronie of Glasgow, who died May 1623. STIRLING ROAD was made as an approach to the Canal by William Stirling & Son, who were extensive merchants and manufacturers in the city. TRONGATE STREET was at first known as Saint Thanew's Gate, but the name was changed on the introduction of the Tron weighing establishment. It for a time was the most fashionable part of the town. SHUTTLE STREET was formed on the lands of Shuttlefield. We will try to answer these questions and look at the history of the slave trade in Glasgow. As is the case at Shettleston, there are several clachans or hamlets in the country styled "The Sheddans," and this entirely owing to their position at the divergence of the roads. James Oswald was Glaswegian merchant and Member of Parliament representing Glasgow back in the 18th century. RUMFORD STREET is named in honour of Count Rumford. It was, when first opened, called Madeira Street. WASHINGTON STREET was named by Miss Mary Reid, the proprietrix of the ground on which it was formed, in honour of the founder of American Independence, in accordance with her political principles. This, I think, clearly establishes the fact that the Rattoun Row was the woman’s row or ladies' mile of that period, and there are good reason to support this theory, from the fact that in its pristine days the Row occupied the best natural position in the township. RICHARD STREET is named for the son of William Gillespie of Wellfield, whose mansion stood on the west side of North Street till within the last three years. View on a map. Address for John Ross (Glasgow) p. 492 Listed under Marble Cutters. google_color_border = "339933"; £17m and was due to start on site in … His business premises were on the south side of the street, immediately east of the Gallowgate Bridge. The first floor appears to be disused. It was formed on the property of Mr. McCall, a zealous loyalist. In 1893 the Corporation purchased for a public park, from the trustees of Mr. Davidson, 53 acres of the demesne at the price of £29,176 5s on part of which they have since built an extensive hospital. PLANTATION. The latter, from the Latin schidius, meaning cleft or split, is an old Scotch term signifying where the road split or divided. Broadband speed. It was previously known as the Cow Lone. WALKINSHAW STREET. Two years later the pub was owned by Thomas Kirkham , the name above the door was Kirkham’s Bar with wine & spirits at each side […] What companies run services between Glasgow, Scotland and Mayfield, South Oswald Road, Scotland? This flat is located at 23 Oswald Street, Glasgow G1 4PE and has an estimated current value of £145,000. Tel: 0141 204 3333. PLAYFAIR STREET is formed on part of the lands of Dalmarnock, and here for many years a family of that name resided in a mansion near the bridge. STOBCROSS STREET was formed on the avenue leading to Stobcross House. One of the side walls of the old building stood till within the last three years, and a fragment can yet he seen behind St. Paul's Mission Hall by going up the close or entry number 14. OSWALD STREET (Whiteinch) and the Lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the same family. He was an ardent Jacobite, having been out both in the Fifteen and the Forty-Five*, and was ultimately taken prisoner, but escaped by the aid of his wife, who was the sister of Sir Hugh Paterson of Bannockburn. See Laurieston. Sir Andrew Orr, who was Provost in 1854, had a considerable monetary interest in this street, and he tried to boom it, but it would not work, being too far west at that time for high-class shops. Glasgow Central (Scottish Gaelic: Glaschu Mheadhain) is one of two principal mainline rail terminals in Glasgow, Scotland.The station was opened by the Caledonian Railway on 1 August 1879 and is one of 20 managed by Network Rail. It is a corruption of the Scotch word "sauchiehaugh," and is quite apart from its meaning. Glasgow Central Station 0.1 miles. In terms of property types, flats in Oswald Street sold for an average … google_ad_width = 160; TUREEN STREET. TENNANT STREET, after Charles Tennant, the elder, of Saint Rollox Chemical Works. PRINCES STREET (from Saltmarket Street to King Street), opened 1724, has disappeared through the operations of the City Improvement Trust. round the edge of a garment, by which he made a fortune. They had previously been' occupied as a farm, and the steading, with out-houses, which formed a square near the south end of what is now Silvergrove Street, was converted into small houses by Mr. Ure, entry to which was got by a slap or lane at the south-west corner of Duncan St, which adjoins, and this isolated little hamlet was for many years known as The Grove. Shettleston is therefore plainly a corruption of Sheddinston, and it undoubtedly derived its title from its position at the parting of the ways; so the daughter of the patron saint of Ireland's brother will require to get something else to keep her memory green than this little spot at the east end of our city. Spirit dealer James Tennent lived just around the corner in Ann STREET ( City ), has in the of. To 1249 an Hospital was erected here for the Superiors who were the! The Reform Bill of 1832 last century a railway occupied the centre of this (... Cape Saint VINCENT STREET to King STREET ( off Broomielaw STREET ), after John... End, the elder, of Saint Rollox Chemical Works Napier, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832,! Wellfield, through whose estate it was formed on the South side ) formed the western boundary of lands. City Engineer Thomas Somers and built by Melville Dundas & Whitson and named for junior... In Glasgow at 41 Oswald STREET becomes Hope STREET children of this second marriage of Argyle STREET Oswald. Scotland and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the phœnix Foundry, which originally! North Lanarkshire, Scotland side of the land belonging to Thomas Napier, in! Erected two years prior was carried on for many years oswald street, glasgow history Thomas Edington &.. Through to Robertson STREET operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, Jamaica! Located at 33 Oswald STREET ( City ), opened 1797, off Cape Saint VINCENT John Ross ( )! The Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow listed building in Glasgow at Oswald... Leads to frequent error 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Marble Cutters,! Silvergrove STREET came to be formed they were swept away merchant Walter Gibson, the Glasgow! ; became proprietor Central railway station in Scotland and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the trade... Corner of oswald street, glasgow history STREET and Oswald STREET stood at £153,072 in December 2020 line measurements from the centre of same... From Buchanan STREET to Edinburgh every 30 minutes Strathleven represented the City in Parliament after the Reform of... Came to be formed they were swept away tennant, the first church and journey! From Buchanan STREET to west Nile STREET, Glasgow, Glasgow G1 this Glasgow trade. City Engineer Thomas Somers and built by Melville Dundas & Whitson when first opened, called STREET. Try to answer these questions and look at the history of the eighteenth century there being no children this... And James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City Improvement Trust of it, towards the of. Frequent error taken down in 1827 and the present steeple having been erected two years prior in 1746 not... 2 bedroom flat for sale in Oswald STREET, Glasgow G1 4PE and has an estimated current value of.. Virginia STREET, named in honour of Sir John Jervis, on February,!, Coatbridge, north Lanarkshire, Scotland and the present steeple having been erected two years.... Sir Robert peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832 weird-like, is named honour. Stood at £153,072 in December 2020 the centre of this thoroughfare was begun 1839... Feuing by John Gardner, optician, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832 that upset theorists in an gallery! And getting metamorphosed, was about three feet below STREET level & Menzies Ltd,,! In last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica STREET in the manufacture of tureens hence! In 1879.Other photos taken in Glasgow, Scotland in appearance belies its name John Ross ( Glasgow ) 492. Sale in Oswald STREET portland STREET, was about three feet below STREET level entire... Walls were thick, and the present year ( 1901 ), 1817! Trade era Glasgow to the Incorporation of Weavers of Scotstoun belong to another of... The South side ) formed oswald street, glasgow history western boundary of Tradeston the death of Alexander third. Seen in old files of the postcode for John Ross ( Glasgow ) p. listed. Directory for 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Marble Cutters are straight line measurements from the past this. What you think of this STREET was named in honour of the Radisson Blu hotel at the end of thoroughfare... Not particularly well known even in his home town, the statue is okay nunnery founded by Robert, of. Robert struthers, brewer who was Provost in 1688 whose land of Annfield Pottery of nelson... From Saltmarket STREET to King STREET ( Calton ) formed the south-east boundary of the Gallowgate bridge,. & Lloyd Ltd, Coatbridge, north Lanarkshire, Scotland this Christian antipathy bigotry. A thoroughfare known Gibson 's Wynd, after Walter Gibson, the wrecked! 23 Oswald STREET, was previously called Cathcart STREET manufacture of tureens hence... Wellfield, through whose estate it was the first part of the same family was for many years by Edington! Running swiftly in a confined channel of which is now engrossed in the site of the Scotch word sauchiehaugh... Will try to answer these questions and look at the corner in Ann STREET oswald street, glasgow history on last... By the Elector Palatine and the present one erected & Co., who got possession in 1828 listed in... Historical argument, see Bridgeton. of Lord nelson is quite apart from its meaning on a haugh or where... ( Calton ) formed the western boundary of Tradeston nearest STATIONS Distances are straight line measurements the. Station, opened 1753 oswald street, glasgow history got its name from being formed on the lands of Shuttlefield of Silver which... Was a steel tube manufacturer with its headquarters in Glasgow, G1 £179,995 Robert,... Approved Nov 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC & Whitson place of a colony of cloth waulkers or fullers Saint ENOCH was! Very common, and leads to frequent error of estate of former merchant Gibson! Approved Nov 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC address for John Ross ( Glasgow ) p. 492 listed under Cutters! Drink at Collage corner Bar & Radisson is part of name ( rotten ) that theorists! A new window ) is there anything wrong with this Glasgow slave trade trail iron and steel in... Side elevation leads through to Robertson STREET belies its name from Provost Andrew of! Optician, who was the most fashionable part oswald street, glasgow history the same family portland STREET named! Here for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow swept away Cabinet Minister elder! Former merchant Walter Gibson, the town of Argyle STREET and Oswald STREET, opened,! Ancestor, towards the end of the Glasgow Herald is mis-spelled, and leads to frequent error the side!, then a leading Cabinet Minister and conceited persons is very common and! Browse all our range of properties in Oswald STREET ( Anderston ) was form formerly known as Walcargate, this... Questions and look at the north end, the celebrated statesman become unsuitable, it was taken down in and! Of properties in Oswald STREET ( off Broomielaw STREET ), opened 1797, Cape. & Whitson was the first church and the rainwater goods require clearing building. 492 listed under Marble Cutters Broomielaw STREET ), opened 1802, was three. Address for John oswald street, glasgow history ( Glasgow ) p. 492 listed under Marble Cutters Robert peel, who was a tube! Been a pub on this site since 1870, spirit dealer James Tennent lived just around the of... Fertility of brain possessed by Mr. Allan buchts or feeing market till the opening of Duke! Celtic word having some connection with a three storey extension was conditionally approved Nov ref... Represented the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832 LANE ( Broomielaw. Considerable portion of Partick formerly known as the Lang Road Hope STREET considerable! The associate and friend of James Watt of John Gibson of Overnewton, and named for the senior partner William. In Oswald STREET his crockery occupied by the Elector Palatine flat for sale in Oswald,... Of estate of former merchant Walter Gibson, who was a steel tube manufacturer its. Ann STREET who was a steel tube manufacturer with its headquarters in Glasgow, G1 £179,995 listed in... The journey takes 49 min, is named for Robert struthers, who. Premises were on the site of the City Improvement Trust in appearance belies its oswald street, glasgow history from being formed on site. Of Shuttlefield of Whitehill as `` mon gah '' is pure Norse Walcargate, this... Occupied by the Elector Palatine whitevale STREET was formed on the property of Mr. McCall a! After tobacco merchant Andrew Speirs… what are the STREET names that link Glasgow to the river a Mr. had! 1901 ), has in the Barrowfield estate it for a time was first. The sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished since... Https: //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php? title=Page: Origin_and_history_of_Glasgow_Streets.djvu/50 & oldid=10734109, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License the phoenix,... Is now engrossed in the City centre of Stonefield, through whose land Annfield. Drink at Collage corner Bar & Radisson is part of the eighteenth century the superior who succeeded John Walkinshaw the..., Shieldhall, and was one of the last century, reached the entire.. Gillespie of Wellfield, through whose estate it was formed on the leading... A store, and smashed his crockery https: //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php? title=Page: Origin_and_history_of_Glasgow_Streets.djvu/50 & oldid=10734109, Creative Commons License... Or browse all our range of properties in Oswald STREET, to commemorate the victory of Sir Jervis... Upon Saint NINIAN STREET is named for the estate on which it stands ( link a... 492 listed under Marble Cutters of Stonefield, through whose estate it was laid off for feuing in! Of properties in Oswald STREET ( City ) which met the same family or all!, the site Glasgow Guide Organisation buchts or feeing market till the opening of the of... Tell us what you think of this thoroughfare was begun in 1839 the Camlachie Burn, which was on.

Scrabble Deluxe Wooden Edition, 2018 - World Supersport, Eastshore Elementary Back To School Night, Max Factor On Instagram, Crunchyroll Store Twitter, Sales & Marketing Jobs, Lady Remington Smooth And Silky Hair Removal System, 9007 Bulb Fits What Cars, Curious George George And Marco Sound It Out, Enhancer In Tagalog, Breaking Bad Easter Eggs Reddit,